"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--

I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference."

(Robert Frost, excerpt from "The Road Not Taken," 1916)  

Hello, and welcome to my ePortfolio!  My name is Kristin Poly, and I have been a part time student at NCC since fall of 2011.  Although I am currently a part time student, I am a full time mother and have been very busy raising my two sons. I gave birth to my first son, Liam, in November of 2002, when I was just 21 years old. My second son, Dylan, was born October 2008, and carries a diagnosis of autism spectrum disorder; he was also born with a rare chromosomal deletion which has lead to global developmental delays.  They've both been a catalyst for many positive changes in my life, and have been my greatest teachers.

Although born in Kansas, I was raised in Westport, CT and attended Staples High School. Although I dropped out of high school because of personal matters, I got my GED when I was 18. I enrolled for college classes but repeatedly withdrew, and set myself into a cycle of anxiety about ever returning to college. Years later, I'm back with a renewed commitment to my education. I feel that I have something valuable to offer to the world, and want to prepare myself for a meaningful career with a college education.

I'm currently undecided about my degree but I love the humanities and am considering a degree in literary studies, with a focus on literary theory. I want to study the way stories shape our perspectives historically, interpersonally and culturally. I have a great interest in personal narratives as well; those we inherit and interpret, and especially the one we write for ourselves --which may limit or free us-- every day of our lives.

My hobbies are: photography, hiking, gardening, spending time with family, reading, writing, watching films and playing games.  I consider myself a lifelong learner, and love the creative process of growing and expressing myself.

In my ePortfolio I will be sharing my journey through class work, creativity, and personal reflections. I find that by having an open mind, asking questions, and exchanging with others that I learn; and it is by learning and reflecting on what I've learned that I make better choices, and develop.  I hope that through exchanging ideas and perspectives we can learn and develop together!