My midterm went pretty well, relatively speaking.  To prepare for it, I read over the article a couple times and thought about what points I thought were worth bringing up in my essay.  That was about it for my preparation.  I basically forgot about the whole thing until we came in on Wednesday to write the paper.  I didn't make an outline of my ideas with backup details listed for ease of use.  I showed up empty handed.  The only thing I had was the prior planning of what I was going to have as my three body paragraphs.  I spent the first half of an hour of the class period re-reading the article and making note mentally of where to find these details.  

During the midterm, I was able to write out my ideas and use details from the article to back them up, but it took longer than I wanted.  I because I had to spend extra time getting the details together while I wrote, I wasn't able to finish the essay within the time allotted.  Looking back on it, I wish I hadn't forgot about the midterm.  I think having an outline ready and made before the midterm would've helped me immensely.  I ended up using the time that should have been used for revision to prepare for the paper and get out an unfinished piece.  The outline and prior planning would definitely have helped me to finish my paper on time, as well as giving me a chance to go back and fix anything that might have needed fixing.
Afterwards, I was able to finish up the essay and get it reviewed by Prof. Brackett.  She showed me the missing points that were obvious and yet I had forgotten to mention them.  I have them in now, but the experience taught me to always go back, even three or four times if need be, to make sure that I have included all of the best details.