Name: Ashlie Bray

Date: Tuesday May 3 & Thursday May 5, 2011

Name of child observed: Valentina

Age of child observed: First Grade

Location of observation: Mrs. McGettigan’s Classroom, Ox Ridge Elementary School, Darien, CT

General Observation Characteristic:

1.  Describe objectively the child’s physical appearance. Give physical characteristics that are unique to that child. 

The child I chose to observe was a first grade girl named Valentina.  She has full long honey brown hair and big brown eyes.  She has and olive skin tone, a round face and it appeared to be a full set of teeth inside her mouth.  Valentina had both of her ears pierced with gold earrings and a small brown birthmark on the right hand side of her lips. She was taller and more full in body proportion than most of her other female classmates. 

Physical Development:

1.  Describe  an example of the child’s fine motor skills observed 

Valentina was holding her book with her left hand while turning the pages with her right.  She was writing with a pencil in her right hand. Valentina was clapping and raising her arms to ask questions.  She was also twirling her hair in between her right index and middle fingers and thumb.  

1.  Describe an example of the child’s gross motor skills observed 

Valentina was walking all around the class room appearing without any loss of balance or wobbling walking.  She sitting on the floor rocking back and forth during the morning meeting. Valentina also was pulling the velcro off her velcro sneakers pulling them tighter then placing them back down. 

Cognitive Development:

1.  Describe  examples of the child’s cognitive skills observed

1.Valentina was always reading a book in her spare time.  One of the tasks for the class (days before I was there observing) was to write their own story.  Valentina’s story was 6 pages long and about how to be a great best friend.  During Reading Workshop on Tuesday Mrs. McGettigan was reading “Charlie the Caterpillar”, she had only read half and before finishing the story on Thursday she had asked the class what we had read about already.  Valentina recalled almost every detail from the first 6 pages that Mrs. McGettigan had read on Tuesday.

2. Thursday’s morning work sheet was to unscramble the “bossy R” words.  Valentina was one of the first students to unscramble all 5 words plus the 2 bonus words and hand in her sheet.  

Language Development:

1.  Describe an example of the child’s receptive language skills observed

While Mrs. McGettingan was going over the bonus words from Thursday mornings “bossy R” worksheet Mrs. McGettigan corrected one of the words to the class was “snorkel” and Valentina stood up and said “I went snorkeling once!” When Mrs. McGettigan was reading “Charlie the Caterpillar” to the class Thursday she had asked the class a question and Valentina responded saying, “you need to give someone an apology for teasing them”, talking about the monkeys in the story that were being mean to Charlie. 

1. Describe an  example of the child’s expressive language skills observed

Valentina had interrupted Mrs. McGettigan to tell her that her group was supposed to be the next group to pick new books and she was confused why she didn’t get to yesterday.  She had also apologized to Mrs. McGettigan for interrupting her.  While trying to pick out new books Valentina expressed to Mrs. McGettigan that she couldn’t find a certain book. 

Social-Emotional Development

1. Describe examples of the child’s social skills  observed

1. Valentina and another girl classmate of her, Josephine, were hugging and putting their arms around each other multiple times during Morning Meeting.  Valentina was very involved in class discussions and she always raised her hand when Mrs. McGettigan would ask a question. During morning work on Tuesday she and two other classmates worked together.

2. Every time I looked at her or around the classroom Valentina was looking at me and when I would make eye contact with her she would smile at me.

1. Describe  an example of the child’s emotional skills observed 

Valentina had a smile on her face both days I had observed her. She was very social and happy with the students around her.  There was only one incident which made Valentina a little upset; another girl in her class had asked Valentina for help with her unfinished “bossy R” worksheet.  When Valentina was getting ready to walk over and help her the other girl turned to the boy sitting next to her and had him help her instead.  Valentina said to her, “I thought that you wanted me to help me” in a sad monotone voice.