Expository Essay Topic:

Why Nursing is one of the Leading Career Choices

Image #1

Steps to writing a expository essay..

Firstly you need to decide on a topic you feel you can write strongly about. You need to have good reliable sources to provide accurate and interesting information regarding your topic. Once you gather multiple sources you are ready to start drafting your paper. Using different examples of research can help make your paper interesting and creative. When writing my expository essay I decided to choose to do a personal interview with a Registered Nurse to be able to get hands on feel on the information I was presenting in my essay. Here are examples of questions that I asked in my interview...

Interview Questions for a Nurse

Information of person being interviewed           

Name:

Current Employer:

Degree:

Schools Attended:

Previous Experience:

• What abilities or characteristics are needed on this job?
  • What are your duties and responsibilities?
  • What kind of education or training would someone need to get into this job?
  • Why did you decide to do this type of work?
  • What role does continuing education play in your work?
  • What do you like most about your job?
  • What do you like least about your job?
  • Will there be any jobs in the future? why?
  • What is the salary range?
  • What are the benefits of this job? 
  • How would you advise someone to prepare for this job? 
  • What are the challenges in this job?
  • Are there any stresses in this job?
  • What are some strategies used to overcome the challenges?
  • What advice you give someone thinking of entering this field of work?
  • Looking back on how you envisioned nursing to affect your life (family, finances, etc...) Do you feel as if it paid off in the long run, and satisfied your personal and family needs?

Image #2

Nurses Interviewed

The Pediatric Center

Stamford, CT 06905 

Nathalie Tocci (RN) & Kim Belmont (LPN)

What role does continuing education play in your job?
"Continuing educationg plays a big part in my job at work, We need to be up to date on the latest health info and mandates, and it is always good to have a refresher." Kim Belmont (LPN)

Will there be jobs for nurses in the future?

"Always!" Nathalie Tocci (RN)

What abilities or characteristics are needed on this job?

"Kindness and Multi Tasking." Kim Belmont (LPN)

Why did you decide to do this type of work?

" I love to care for others and was always interested in the health field." Kim Belmont (LPN)

"I enjoy working with kids in a office setting." Nathalie Tocci (RN)

What advice can you give someone thinking on entering this field of work?

"Make sure you pay close attention in school, you will find things you think you didn't need to know will come up all the time, make sure you can multi task and handle stressfull situations, most importantly make sure you are passionate about working with kids and adults." Kim Belmonth (LPN)

" Be flexible and okay with taking extra educational classes, throught your career."

Nathalie Tocci (RN)

Looking back on how you envisioned nursing to affect your life (family, finances, etc..) do you feel as if it paid off in the long run, and satisfied your personal and family needs?

" I am very pleased with how my life has turned out, Nursing has provided me and my family stability, it has also allowed me to spend adequate time with my family as well." Nathalie Tocci (RN)

"Even though I am young and rather new to nursing, I feel as if having a medical backround helps me to save and be able to know I can provide for my family one day." Kim Belmont (LPN)

Please read my essay as followed..

"Why Nursing is one of the Leading Career Choices"

Today a number of students struggle to pursue a career that they feel would be best for themselves and their families. Some people unfortunately don’t have the opportunity to attend a university or college, and don’t have the means to pay for it, but with many local colleges and institutes providing training in the nursing field such as degrees as a Medical Assistant, CNA (certified nurse’s aide), LPN (licensed practical nurse) and RN (registered nurse), this is making student’s dreams of pursuing a career in the medical field possible for those who have faced the difficulties of not being able to attend a university. Even adults who already have four-year degrees, some master’s, statistics show people are leaving their fields to pursue nursing even years later, seeking the potential benefits that it offers. With the demand for nurses greater than ever people are really seeing the benefits of becoming a nurse. I personally would like to become a nurse because I enjoy helping people, and enjoy learning about how to take care of people. I also know that becoming a nurse will provide me with financial stability in the future for myself and my someday family.

In the article “Why nursing is still the most trusted profession.” by Jennifer Larson, she shares results of an annual poll taken that focuses on different professions, and which ranks highest and why. Larson says “For 21 years, the Gallup organization has conducted an annual poll that asks a selection of adults to rate the honesty and ethical standards of a series of professions. Nurses were included in the list of professions starting in 1999, and since then have topped the list every single year, except for one in (2001).” In this particular poll, nurses have been rated at 84% topping doctors at 70%. People who have participated in these polls share their beliefs on why nurses rank the highest when it comes to careers that are most honest and setting high ethical standards. Larson adds how it is a career that people can continuously strive in and earn not only their patient’s but the community’s trust. It is a job that takes a lot of effort and keeping up with which weeds out nurses who are there for the wrong reasons. The public views nurses as people who really strive to be committed to providing the highest quality of care to their patients.

Being a nurse gives you the flexibility to work in a variety of places and settings while remaining in one overall field. In the article “Nursing a strong career choice during troubled times,” by Jeff Myers, he shares how with economic woes becoming a matter of daily living , it seems more and more students are pursuing nursing as a top career choice. Nursing is one of the top careers that rank when it comes to traveling, working in diverse communities and working with different types of patients and people. There are so many choices when you choose to pursue nursing. With science rapidly advancing and creating cures and treatments for patients, nursing specialties have continuously grown and created more jobs for nurses. ”There are a lot more options for nurses to go in different places then there were historically,” Brunell said. “Generally, nurses would go directly from school into the hospitals. Now there are a lot more physician’s offices, health fields you like best and the types of patients you work well with. This kind of diversity really appeals to people, because it is hard for some to stay put in the same field for the length of their careers. It also satisfies the crave for wanting to continuously learn new things, and be overall well educated in many aspects of nursing.

“Nursing requires a certain skill, a certain set of characteristics,” Myers added. “Not everyone is going to possess those characteristics. Some people may want to come into nursing because it’s a good paying job, but that’s really not the best reason to choose nursing.” In a recent encounter at The Pediatric Center of Stamford, I interviewed RN Nathalie Tocci and LPN Kim Belmont. Answering a series of questions, Nathalie and Kim both agreed that nursing has paid off in the long run. When I asked “Looking back on how you envisioned nursing to affect your life (family, finances, etc…)Do you feel as if becoming a nurse has paid off in the long run, and satisfied your personal and family needs?”. Tocci (RN) chuckled while saying “I am very pleased on how my life has turned out. Nursing has provided me and my family with stability and it has also allowed me to spend adequate time with them. Kim Belmont (LPN), when asked the same question adds “Yes, I feel like having a medical background has even helped me care for my own family better.” Interviewing these women I was able to see how nursing has made their dreams in life able to come true. They both agree that the nursing field provides stability for themselves and their families and their financial and health needs.

Being a nurse has many wonderful advantages, but there is more to being a nurse than just becoming one for the money and job security. As you can see nursing is a rigorous job that carries a lot of pressure and responsibility. It is job that is meant for someone who is extremely passionate about providing the highest quality of care to his or her patients and going to great lengths to do so. Being a nurse might be a “job” to some but in reality being a nurse is a lifelong commitment that takes continuous dedication.

Works Cited

1) Press Republican

“Nursing a great career choice during troubled times.” By: Jeff Meyers

http://pressrepublican.com/0100_news/x155049083/Nursing-a-great-career-choice-during-troubled-times

2) NursesZone.com

“Why Nursing is Still the Most Trusted Profession.” By Jennifer Larson

http://www.nursezone.com/printArticle.aspx?articleID=38778

3) Live Personal Interview at the Pediatric Center of Stamford. By: Amber Winski

Tocci, Nathalie(RN). Personal interview. June 20th 2012

Belmont, Kim(LPN).  Personal Interview. June 20th 2012

Image #3